Hip-hop artist Bow Wow stars as Xavier — or "X" for short — in this retro roller romp set in suburban Chicago during the late 1970s. X and his crew rule the local rink until the joint closes for good, forcing them to travel uptown to the Sweetwater Roller Rink, where they meet their trick skater rivals and gorgeous girl groupies. As he prepares for the ultimate showdown — the Roller Jam skate-off with the Sweetwater crew — X struggles with the anger issues that plague his shaky relationship with his father, played by Chi McBride.
- Starring: Bow Wow, Chi McBride, Meagan Good and Mike Epps
- Director(s): Malcom D. Lee
- Producer(s): Robert Teitel, George Tillman Jr.
- Screenwriter(s): Norman Vance Jr.
- Distributor: Fox 2000 Pictures
- Animal Coordinator: Animal Talent of Chicago
- Release Date: Friday, September 23, 2005
Featured Animal Action
Fred, the Smith family's pet Papillion, appears with Xavier's sister Sonya (Busisiwe Irvin) in two scenes. Fred walks from point A to B in the garage, and later sits on the front porch while the guys discuss an upcoming Skate-Off competition. For Fred's simple action in the garage, the 1st assistant director stood off camera and used a squeaky toy to cue the dog over to Sonya. Later, the trainer placed the dog on mark on the porch and stood at camera left holding a dog toy to keep his attention.
As a safety precaution, the trainer kept the dog on leash between takes and during setup.